Please read the IMPORTANT section at the end of this posting.
Very is a fully distributed IoT technology firm led by expert problem-solvers to create efficient, scalable solutions that move commercial, industrial, and consumer IoT projects from pilot to production in record time.
We’ve built a collaborative, tight-knit team that thrives and we have the results to prove it. Over the years, we’ve won numerous workplace awards for being a Great Place to Work, and have been listed in Parity.org’s list of Best Companies for Women to Advance. Most recently, we’ve been ranked as one of the fastest-growing companies in the U.S. by Inc. 5000 and recognized by Clutch as one of the top B2B companies in 2023.
We believe that everything we build — and the people we build it with — has the potential to change the world. Our client list includes numerous well-known brands determined to leverage the power of IoT to drive material outcomes — such as Vizio, Peloton, Clear, iHeart Radio and Fellowes. Our goal for each and every client we partner with is to create high-value solutions through a collaborative and user-centered process.
About This Role
As a Director of Sales & Client Strategy, you will manage a team of sales and client success professionals serving businesses to develop and deliver a strategy for their high-impact IoT products. You will be responsible for sustainably growing our business in collaboration with engineers and designers across our practice areas to create custom solutions that align with our client’s visions.
If you’re a strategic leader who wants to join a growing, profitable tech company in a role that:
– Develops your team to deliver outcomes and foster career growth
– Delivers impactful and profitable new client acquisition deals (>$1mm)
– Designs strategic & custom deals with ownership of all aspects of the negotiations
– Utilizes depth of financial acumen to measure and deliver optimized results for Very and our clients
What You’ll Be Working On
Very is first and foremost an IoT Product Design and Development firm. We tackle hard problems for clients who need a targeted, senior team to come in and provide specific solutions. We address the IoT space through our four practice areas: Hardware, Software, UI/UX, and Data Science. Our projects in this domain have ranged from data acquisition and alerting for industrial power systems to automated self-pour beer taps. Therefore, an acute and adaptive ability to understand the client’s needs and tie that back to Very’s capabilities is required.
– Supporting your team to align with client’s needs and applying strategic thinking with a consultative sales approach to retain business and win deals that have long-term growth potential
– Evolving the lead generation strategy and execution to enable new client acquisition
– Hitting quarterly financial metrics with attention to profitable growth
– Manage quarterly financial target setting for the sales team
– Developing the careers of a team of sales executives, sales development representatives and sales assistants
– Managing a multi-step sales process for clients that begins with a discovery phase or “Technical Design Sprints” and is followed by development or a “Build” contract close
– Hardening the processes for effective and efficient deal qualification and lead generation and distribution
– In collaboration with the Client Strategy and Success team, seeking new opportunities within the larger organization, parent company or subsidiaries to assist with the sales qualification process
– Securing referrals from client stakeholders, CTOs or executives
– Getting introductions to partner companies, SaaS platforms integrated with a project, and other agencies connected to the project
– You’ll be expected to be on the road meeting with clients. This will adjust to the number of clients you and your team have in the pipeline. Expect 2 monthly client visits within North America to support a successful outcome.
Your team’s lead flow will come from multiple sources including leads generated from your team’s outbound efforts. Our marketing team is outstanding at their jobs, and high-quality inbound leads will be generated through their demand generation. You will have an SDR that generates outbound leads and continue to evolve this function. Client and employee referrals are other sources of high-quality leads. Finally, you will be responsible for generating your own outbound leads that align with our lead qualification attributes. Your job will be to take those leads, build a relationship with multiple points of contact, and build a custom deal for each unique project.
Education and Experience
– 12+ years of successfully negotiating and closing B2B enterprise deals
– 6+ years leading a sales team that serves a portfolio of enterprise clients
– A substantial track record of meeting and exceeding monthly or quarterly sales targets
– Understanding of the product development process and IoT space and ability to brainstorm, strategize, and design high-level solutions to complex client problems
– Exemplary in-person and virtual presentation skills that are articulate and informed
– Proven contract negotiation skills and commercial term acumen
– Experience with creating sales processes and optimizing for scale
– Nice to have: Worked at a technology product or services company with the intimacy of the product development lifecycle. Awareness of product development is required.
In addition to education/experience, these are the critical skills for a Director role.
– Communicates Effectively: Demonstrates expert-level communication skills. Can comfortably present information to clients that is clear and concise (verbal and written). Can negotiate for positive outcomes with clients on projects of any size and difficulty level. Leans into complex conversations and effectively addresses escalated situations, resulting in team/client alignment.
– Independently resets the tone of the team or environment. Redirects the team and client on complex projects when needed. Negotiates positive outcomes by incorporating ideas and opinions from internal and external resources. Thoughtfully considers all outcomes before jumping to change. Is decisive, direct and respectful when communicating alternate solutions and ideas to influence for buy-in or change.
Primary residence in the contiguous US.
Unfortunately, applicants not meeting these criteria will not be considered.
On-target earnings: $400,000 per year.
We also offer world-class perks:
– Fantastic healthcare coverage ($0 out of pocket for most employee premiums)
– 50% 401K match (Very contributes $1 for every $2 you contribute to your 401k as of 1/1/22)
– $300/mo towards cell phone/internet
– $600/yr towards home office buildout & upgrades
– Insurance (Dental, Vision and Life)
– Paid Parental Leave (95th percentile for the U.S.)
– MacBook Pro (on loan)
– In-person all-company retreat every 18 months
Why Work for Very
You are more than your job title. At Very, we prioritize talent development and professional growth with a human-first approach that caters to the unique goals each individual brings to the team.
Our core value, Invest in Our People, looks like collaborating with a cohort of talented people on a mission to get better every single day. It feels like working for a company that invests in you. And it means finding alignment with your career goals to get you where you want to be.
How do we bring our priorities to life? Of course we offer the typical world-class perks you would expect. Additionally, as a remote-first company (since 2011), we provide stipends for home office, telephone, and internet. Professional development funds and generous parental leave are also some of the benefits you can expect.
But a healthy company culture isn’t just about perks. It’s about creating an environment where our employees can thrive. Our work is fueled by smart, creative people whose lives are enriched by our experiences together. We learn together, we grow together, and we play together. Despite working across more than half a dozen countries, our teams connect regularly for work and for fun – on Slack, Zoom, and during an annual retreat. We’ve been remote-first from the beginning, so we know well what it takes to maintain a strong culture. #LI-Remote
1. We don’t currently provide H1B Visa Sponsorship. Don’t apply if you require this.
2. This job is remote but if you’re not located in the region or country mentioned in the post’s title, do not continue. Your application won’t be reviewed.
3. Delivery team members may be required to travel up to 10% of the time. As a client services organization, this is expected.
Interviewing for a new company is a serious time commitment for all parties involved. Please take the time to read this and thoughtfully consider if we would be a good fit for one another. No contractors or agencies. Seriously. #LI-Remote